The following is not based on a true story…it is a true story.
Shortly before her daughter was taken by the Nazis, a mother gave her daughter three diamonds. She said to her daughter, “Keep them safe for they may help you some day.”
When the Nazis came for the daughter, she swallowed the diamonds before she was taken to Auschwitz. Each day when she expelled them, she would wash the gems with water from the floor. If there was no water on the floor, she would wash them in the coffee or watery soup and even if there was nothing to wash them in, she would again just swallow the diamonds. She did this every day for two years.
Years later after the war, she had the diamonds set in a tear shaped pendant which hung from a chain around her neck. This Survivor told her grown children, “Please do not ever sell these diamonds, for they are the only thing I have that my mother ever touched.”
Who will tell Survivor stories if there is no Holocaust Education? Please consider a gift to the Sandra Bornstein Holocaust Education Center so we can remember the victims of the Holocaust and continue to tell Survivors’ stories.
Susan E. Odessa,
Vice President, Development
Please make a tax deductible donation payable to SBHEC, and mail it to:
The Sandra Bornstein Holocaust Education Center
401 Elmgrove Avenue
Providence, RI 02906
Or donate online through PayPal
Your donation supports
- Diversity and civic responsibility education programs
- Our Holocaust Through the Arts Program reaching thousands of students and educators
- The Art and Writing Contest which gives students an opportunity to express feelings through any medium
- An Annual Author Lecture presenting the community a book about the Holocaust
- Workshops to educate teachers on how to most effectively teach the Holocaust to students
- Our very popular Survivor Visit program which reached more than 125 schools last year
- Our annual campaign
- An ever-growing resource center
- HERC RI Endowment Fund
Donation Gift Cards
One way to help support the Bornstein Holocaust Education Center is to make donations as a gift, to honor, or in memory of someone. We are pleased to offer you these handsome pre-paid donor cards with envelopes in packages of 5 for $50 plus $1 for shipping.